"The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger - but recognize the opportunity."
—John F. Kennedy

Friday, October 16, 2009

To continue the story...

My landlord called 9-1-1 and an ambulance came. The EMTs thought I'd ODed--remember I was conscious through this all, but I couldn't respond or move. They transferred me to life-flight to go to San Antonio, and I must have lost consciousness at that point because I'm drawing a blank. The first couple of weeks are blurry and I mostly remember snippets, and I'm not sure what was real and what was hallucination, so I'll leave most of that be. I do know I was on a respirator, and there seemed to be a lot of MRIs, which I hated. I remember them putting the tube down my nose to empty my lungs, and I remember them putting in the pick line. I don't really remember them doing the PEG tube, although I do remember it being explained to me. I also remember that they had me on too much blood thinner when they did the PEG and they didn't seem too concerned that it kept bleeding, which is why I had a transfusion when I got to Ohio. I remember that they couldn’t put me flat because I would hyperventilate, although I think those may have been panic attacks. I was on continuous tube feeding. I'm pretty sure they put the first trach there, too. After about two and a half weeks, my parents got sick of hotels and chartered a medical flight to Ohio. One of the EMTs on the second ambulance put me back on respiration. The neurological ICU was full, so I was put in the cardiovascular ICU. They (the cardiovascular nurses) were not pleased. I was given two bags of blood from the PEG tube blood-loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment